GROW, EDWARD N.
Portrait and Biographical Album of Oakland County, Michigan, Chapman Bros. (1891), p. 332
EDWARD N. GROW, a retired farmer of Clyde, Highland Township, is a son of Elisha and Lois (Palmer) Grow, who are elsewhere mentioned in this book. Our subject and his brother Edwin were twins, and were born, March 8, 1822, in Homer Township, Cortland County, N. Y. When fifteen years of age he came to Michigan and settled in Waterford, in May, 1837, and has since resided in Oakland County. When nineteen years old he learned the trade of a shoemaker, and worked at it for seven years. December 27, 1848, he was married in Clarkston, to Susan Landon, who was born December 25, 1827, in Canada. She is a daughter of Ebenezer Landon, a native of New York. At an early day he went to Canada, and in 1836 came to Port Huron, Mich. He owned a farm in Chester Township, Eaton County, comprising one hundred and sixty acres which he worked, and also followed the trade of a carpenter. He was a soldier in the War of 1812 and received a land warrant of forty acres for his services. He and his wife were Free Will Baptists.
The children of Mr. Edward Grow and wife are: Miriam A., now Mrs. VanValkenburg, who resides in Brady, Saginaw County; Frank H., a farmer at Fenton; Albert R. at South Saginaw; Lois A., who is now Mrs. Wallace, and resides at East Saginaw, and John who is deceased. Mr. Grow lived for five years on his sixty acre farm at Waterford. He then moved to Springfield on a farm of eighty acres. After living there nine years he went to Clarkston, and after a year removed to Highland Township. Here he lived from 1865 until 1879, when he came to the village of Clyde, where he still lives, having sold his farm in 1886. He has a good location and a fine residence, but most of his property is in money. Both he and his wife are Baptists, and his political affiliations are and always have been with the Republican party.