HUBBELL, FRANK SCHUYLER
Lillian Drake Avery, Editor, An Account Of Oakland
County, National Historical Association, Inc. (1925?), pp. 263-264
NOTE: While not a native or resident of Highland Township per se, Frank S. Hubbell is the man who, as noted below, operated the commercial ice houses at Clyde and built an impressive summer cottage on the island in White Lake which now bears his name. Such close connections to Highland make it fitting to include his biography on this site.
Frank Schuyler Hubbell, who, after many years of successful and varied business activities, is now living virtually retired, in the attractive little Oakland county city of Milford, claims Michigan as the state of his nativity and is a representative of one of the sterling pioneer families of this commonwealth. He was born in Marengo, Calhoun county, Michigan, January 1, 1858, and is a son of the late Edwin and Sarah E. (Mudge) Hubbell, the former of whom was born in Milford township, Oakland county, Michigan, and the latter of whom was born near Meadville, Pennsylvania. Philip Schuyler Hubbell, grandfather of the subject of this sketch, came from the state of New York to Michigan territory in the year 1833, and became one of the earliest settlers in Milford township, Oakland county, where he did well his part in the sturdy work of civic and industrial development, so that his name merits place on the rolls of the honored pioneers of Michigan. He whose name initiates this review is the elder of two children, his sister Carrie having become the wife of William Marling and being now deceased. The Milford public schools afforded Frank S. Hubbell his early education, and as a youth he learned the trade of telegraphist. As a telegraph operator he was employed two years at various Michigan stations on the line of the F. and P. M. railroad, and during the ensuing two years he was employed in the Detroit offices of the Western Union Telegraph Company. In 1877 he returned to Milford and engaged in the retail grocery business, in partnership with D. T. Smith, he having later purchased his partner's interest and having continued in the general store business here during a period of twenty years, with standing as one of the leading merchants of this village. In 1892 Mr. Hubbell showed his civic loyalty and liberality by effecting the organization of the Milford Electric Company, for the supply of light and power to the village, he having been the virtual owner of this plant until September 13, 1923, when it was sold, he having sold his general store business in 1897. Mr. Hubbell was for twenty-nine years engaged also in the wholesale ice business, in the handling of natural ice, and in this business he extended his operations to Clyde, Rose, Farwell and Lake Station, he having in the meanwhile erected some of the largest ice houses in Michagan. In 1907 he initiated the business conducted under the title of the Hubbell Sand Company, at Manistee,[Begin Page 264] Michigan, and he still retains his interest in this business. He is a director of the First State Bank of Milford, is the owner of valued real estate in this village, and besides has an idyllic summer home on an island in White Lake, near Milford. His political alignment is with the Democratic party, he is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity, and he holds membership in the Presbyterian church. The first marriage of Mr. Hubbell was with Miss Justina Jeanette Findlay, daughter of the late Alexander Findlay, who was a pioneer citizen of Milford township. Mrs. Hubbell passed to the life eternal in the year 1912, and is survived by four children: Mrs. Linnie Stolle, of Seattle, Washington; Alexander E., of Bay City, Michigan; Emory F., of Saginaw, this state, and Mrs. Janet Gertrude Fee, of Birmingham, Oakland county. On the 15th of October, 1914, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Hubbell to Mrs. Elizabeth B. Morehouse, of Detroit, and she is the gracious chatelaine of their pleasant home.