KELLER, FRANK S.
Thaddeus D. Seeley, History of Oakland County, Michigan, The Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago (1912), Vol. II, pp. 780-781
FRANK S. KELLER. Public-spirited and enterprising, Frank S. Keller is known as one who has ever been useful in his community and an able assistant in developing its highest interests. He has filled various offices of trust, at the present writing, in 1912, being postmaster at Highland and one of the leading merchants of the village. A native of Buffalo, New York, he was born July 19, 1869, a son of Jacob and Catherine Keller. Jacob Keller was born in 1825 in Germany, and came to the United States when twenty-one years of age. After remaining in New York city about a year he went to Buffalo, New York, living there until 1874, when he came with his family to Oakland county, Michigan. Locating in Ortonville, he there followed his trade of a shoemaker for many years, [Begin Page 781] living there until his death, in 1901. Of the children born to him and his wife, Jacob and three others, died in infancy, and the following named are now living: George W., who married Miss Melos Calkins, of Highland township, is engaged in farming on his father-in-law's farm; Clara, living in Ortonville, with her widowed mother; Ella M., wife of Robert Chassidy, of Ortonville; and Frank S.
Coming with his parents to Michigan when but five years old, Frank S. Keller received excellent educational advantages. After leaving the public schools of Ortonville he attended two of the state normal schools, one at Ypsilanti, and the other at Flint, later continuing his studies for a year at the normal school in Fostoria, Ohio. As a young man Mr. Keller farmed for a time, but was principally engaged in professional work, teaching school five years in Highland Corners, one year in Highland village, and for five years at Groveland Center and Belleville, in Wayne county. Embarking in mercantile pursuits in 1899, he conducted a general store at Highland Corners for six years, being quite successful in his venture. He then formed a partnership with Mr. I. R. Waterbury, of Detroit and Highland village, and has since carried on an extensive and lucrative business in Highland village, where he carries a stock of goods valued at about $10,000, the store being located in a building twenty by seventy-five feet, and stocked with a fine line of general merchandise. Mr. Keller also owns thirty acres of land in the southwestern part of the village, it being property of considerable value. For the past three years he has served as postmaster, and for the past five years has been township clerk. He was also for eight years justice of the peace for Highland township. Fraternally lie is a member of Milford Lodge, Ancient Free and Accepted Order of Masons, and religiously both he and his good wife are members of the Baptist church.
Mr. Keller married, June 16, 1897, Nellie M. Holdridge, a daughter of Henry D. and Josephine Holdridge, and they have one child, Josephine C. Keller.