LINDSLEY, JESSE G., M.D.
Portrait and Biographical Album of Oakland County, Michigan, Chapman Bros. (1891) pp. 488-489
JESSE G. LINDSLEY, M. D. This gentleman is one of the well-known citizens of Highland Township, in which he has made his home for well-nigh forty years. During the greater part of that time he was engaged in the practice of his profession, but in 1875 he discontinued it and devoted himself exclusively to the pursuit of agriculture. He still occupies a farm and adds to the marketable products of the county, grain of high grade and fat stock. He was born in Seneca County, N. Y., December 2, 1821, but has lived in this State from his eleventh year. His home was in Washtenaw County, until 1853, when he identified himself with the citizens of the township in which he is now living.
The father of our subject was Elihu Lindsley who was born in New Jersey, but early in life went to New York State. After spending some years in Seneca County he removed to Livingston County and thence came to Michigan in 1832. He breathed his last in Washtenaw County in 1868. He was a lifelong farmer and owned one hundred and twenty acres of land in Washtenaw County. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church and so too was his wife, who was removed from him by death in 1834, during the prevalence of cholera in the United States. T heir marriage had taken place in Seneca County, N. Y., in 1815, and had been blest by the birth of eight children, named respectively, Caroline, Henry, Jesse G., Cornelia, Catherine, Charles, Louisa and Sophronia. Charles enlisted in the Sixth Michigan Infantry and afterward in the Heavy Artillery and served through the entire war. He was wounded in the forearm at Baton Rouge.
The mother of our subject bore the maiden name of Elizabeth Gardner and her parents were Henry and Hannah (Allen) Gardner, natives of New Jersey. They removed to Seneca County, N. Y., where Mr. Gardner lived until death. He was killed by a runaway team. His widow made a second marriage, wedding Jonathan Thayer, but finally came to this State and made her home with her daughter, Mrs. Lindsley, and later with a daughter in Albion, Calhoun County, where she died.
Dr. Lindsley received a common school education and pursued the usual course in life of a farmer's son until he was of age. He studied medicine with Dr. Isaac S. Smith at Detroit and at the age of twenty-seven years entered the University at Arbor [Sic - Should be "Ann Arbor"] and took medical lectures during two terms of six months each. After he became a resident of Highland Township he divided his time between his farm and his practice for some years, but eventually turned his attention to one occupation alone. He was married in November, 1852, to Miss Mary S. Coburn, the ceremony taking place at the bride's home in Washtenaw County. She was the daughter of Jephtha and Mercy Coburn, who were natives of Massachusetts. Mr. Coburn came to this State in 1830 and settled at Ann Arbor, and later went to Wisconsin. He returned to this State in 1840 and sojourned in Washtenaw County until 1854. A score of years prior to that time he had bought Government land in Highland Township, this [Begin Page 489] county, the tract consisting of one hundred and sixteen and one-half acres. To this he came and here he lived with his son-in-law, Dr. Lindsley, until death. His demise took place in 1879. Mrs. Coburn died in 1847 at the age of fifty-one years. They had but two children - Mary S. and Elmira E.
The marriage of Doctor and Mrs. Lindsley was blest by the birth of five children named respectively - Celia Y., Frank L., Jesse C., Charles F. and Henry B. The devoted wife and mother was removed from her sorrowing household by death, September 18, 1889. Dr. Lindsley has been a Republican since the organization of the party. He was elected Township Supervisor in 1875, and again elected in 1877 and continued to act in the official capacity nine years. This long continuance in office speaks for itself regarding the reputation he bears among his fellow-citizens.