LOCKWOOD, FRANK E.
Portrait and Biographical Album of Oakland County, Michigan, Chapman Bros. (1891), pp. 789-790
FRANK E. LOCKWOOD. Among the younger men who are gaining a maintenance by tilling a portion of the soil of this county, Mr. Lockwood is deserving of mention. He is located on section 5, Highland Township, and operates one hundred and twelve acres of fertile land, whereon may be seen a good residence and the necessary outbuildings. He is the son of Charles H. Lockwood, a well-known native of Highland Township, and his grandfather was Edmond Lockwood, a native of New York. The latter was married in his native State to Sabrina Lockwood, and in 1836 established his home in this county. His wife died here in 1860 and he was subsequently married to Mary Patten, who is still living in Highland Township. Grandfather Lockwood passed away in 1878. He was a member of the Baptist Church and to that denomination his widow belongs.
Charles H. Lockwood was the oldest son of his parents, and under their roof he remained until he [Begin Page 790] was of age. He was married February 25, 1861, to Betsey Cole, third child of Orin and Tamer Cole. The bride was born in Highland Township, whither her father had come from the Empire State in quite an early day. He bought eighty acres of land, half of which he has given to his only son, Hiram Cole. He was Justice of the Peace for a number of vears and also served as Township Treasurer. He belongs to the Baptist Church, in which his wife held membership. She passed away in 1883, at the ripe age of eighty-three years.
To Mr. and Mrs. Charles H. Lockwood there were born five children, named respectively: Luella, Loren E., Frank E., Rozelle and Edith A. Mr. Lockwood was engaged in farming from his early years. He owned a tract in Hartland Township for six years and then bought what was known as the John Morse farm of one hundred and seventy-two acres in Highland Township, which he owned at death. He died September 4, 1874, strong in the faith of the Free-Will Baptist Church. He had the full sympathy of his wife in his religious belief, she too belonging to the Baptist society. She now makes her home with her son Frank.
The subject of this sketch was born in Hartland [Sic - Should be Highland?] Township, this county, 25, 1864. He was but ten years old when he was bereft of a father's care and he has grown to manhood under the guidance of his mother, from whom he has scarcely been separated except while pursuing his advanced studies. From his boyhood he carried on the farm, going to school dluring the winter until he was of age. He then attended the Fenton Normal School at Fenton for five terms and taught nine months. After that period he returned to the farm which he has since been occupying and operating. In Tyrone, this State, in 1888, Frank Lockwood received the Christmas gift of a wife, formerly Miss Minnie E. Andrews. This estimable and well-educated lady is the second child of Adam F. and Elizabeth (Heblethwaite) Andrews, natives of Canada, whose other children are John, Ida, Edward F., Fanny, Frank, Grace and Edna. Mr. Andrews is a farmer and fruit-grower near Fenton. He came to this State about 1864 and enlisted in Company F, One Hundred and Eighty eighth New York Infantry, and fought for the Union cause until the close of the war. He is a member of Fenton Post, G. A. R., and he and his wife belong to the Methodist Church.
The home of Mr. and Mrs. Frank E. Lockwood is brightened by the presence of two interesting children, who are named Charles A. and Ida A. Mr. Lockwood was School Inspector two years and received the nomination of his party for the same office in the spring of 1891. He is a Republican in politics. He is a respected member of society, with a good reputation as an intelligent farmer, a reliable citizen and a man of social, kindly impulses.