NOTE: This brief history of Highland Township is taken from "History of Oakland County" by the Hon. Thomas J. Drake, read at a meeting of the Wayne County Pioneer Society, March 8, 1872, and subsequently published in the Michigan Pioneer And Historical Collections, Robert Smith & Co., Lansing (1894), Vol. XXII, p. 414.
In town 3 north, of range 7 east, called Highland, the first purchase
was made by Nathan Curtis, of Oakland county. He formerly resided
on the east bank of Silver lake, in Waterford. On the 6th of September, 1832, he
entered a part of section 36; he and his brother, Jeremiah Curtis, moved
on to the land and improved it. They early became imbued with the spirit of
Mormonism, sold out their possessions, and joined the great body of Mormons in the west.
In 1832, James Aldrich, Richard Willett, Samuel
Myers, Jr., Rufus Tenny and Alvah Tenny
purchased and became settlers.