Original Highland Township Landowner
William D. Crawford
William D. Crawford was born circa 1814 in New York, the son of Robert and Hannah (Albright) Crawford. Durant's History of Oakland County, Michigan, p. 222, provides the following account of the family's migration to Milford Township, Oakland County:
In May, 1835, Mr. [Robert] Crawford and his family started on their journey of removal here from Ontario county, New York, with two double teams and one single one, bringing with them six young horses. They came through Canada, arriving about the last of June. They undertook to come out from Detroit by way of the Grand River road. It was not worked much, and a part of the time they were obliged to turn aside in the woods where the mud and water were hub deep. But they finally reached the "Sand hill," leaving one of their wagons stuck fast in the mud; returning the next morning, they hauled it out with another team. William D. Crawford was with the family when they came in. He narrates his first journey to Milford village in this way: having to pasture their horses in the woods, not having much land fenced, the horses strayed. Going in quest of them in a northwest direction, he came to the Huron river; having followed a sort of trail he came where the village now stands. He found here a log house and blacksmith shop (Foreman's). He there inquired for Mr. Vincent's, when, taking a back track by way of Mr. V.'s house, he made home at last. Mr. Robert Crawford died in February, 1839. His remains, first interred in the old cemetery, now rest beside those of his wife, whose death occurred about six years ago, waiting the morn of the resurrection.
William D. Crawford was married in 1841 to Lucy A. Taylor, born April 13, 1813, at Utica, New York. He died October 12, 1881. There is no evidence William D. Crawford ever settled on his purchase in Highland Township.