Original Highland Township Landowner
Charles E. Everts
The identity of this man is uncertain. First Land Owners of Oakland County spells his last name "Evarts" and gives his residence as "White Lake;" presumably meaning White Lake Township, Oakland County, Michigan. His actual patent, however, spells his name as "Everts." He is most likely Charles E. Everts a/k/a Everets, born circa 1844, the son of George Everts/Everets of Holly. This Charles E. Everts served in the 8th Michigan Cavalry, Company "C," during the Civil War, and thereafter appears on the 1890 Census "Veterans Schedule" as living in White Lake township. He also briefly owned what later became the Weaver Brothers store in Clyde, Highland Township.
The property Everts purchased (SE 1/4 of NE 1/4 of Section 11) is one of the last sold in Highland Township; no doubt because most of it is either submerged under Duck Lake or else (at the time) low and swampy. First Land Owners of Oakland County indicates the property was sold at "Public Sale" which suggests it was auctioned off. By this time most public lands in southern Michigan had been sold and the Detroit Land Office closed. As a consequence, the paperwork for this patent was handled by the Public Land Office in Grayling, Michigan.