Original Highland Township Landowner
This Harrison Lewis is apparently the man whose biography was published in History of Bay County, Michigan, H. R. Page & Co. (1883), p. 203, as follows:
Harrison Lewis is a native of Vermont, where he was born in 1816. While young he went to Western New York with his father's family and remained until he was nineteen years of age. In 1835 he started out for himself, going first to Oakland County, Mich., and afterward to Genesee County where he cleared up several farms. In 1873, together with his son Henry S., came to West Bay City and opened a grocery store, which in 1880 they changed to hardware and are doing a successful business. Their store is on Midland Street.
Harrison Lewis married Nancy L. Van Tuyl, of New York. She is still living.
Henry S. Lewis married Ada A. Johnson, of Genesee County, Mich.
Note also the Harrison Lewis found living in the household of Henry Tucker on the 1845 Michigan State Census for West Bloomfield, Oakland County. Taken together, this account and census suggest Harrison Lewis never actually resided on his purchase in Highland Township.