Original Highland Township Landowner
Jacob Peters was born August 24, 1808, at Stone Ridge,Ulster County, New York, the son of William and Margaret (Hasbrouck) Peters. He married at New Paltz, Ulster County, Catherine Jane Wurts, born June 17, 1813, the daughter of Mauritius and Maria (Jansen) Wurtz of New Paltz. The couple came to Michigan circa 1836 and settled in Brighton, Livingston County, where Peters had purchased 40 acres in Section 29 the same day as his purchase in Section 20 of Highland Township, Oakland County. The family thereafter appears on the 1840 Census for Brighton and on an 1843 Brighton assessment roll. In 1847, however, Peters removed to Milford, Oakland County, where he purchased the Fuller/Wells grist mill. He thereafter appears on the 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880 Censuses of Milford. Over the years Peters greatly expanded the original Fuller/Wells mill, adding a woolen mill, tannery and cooper's shop. The Milford Historical Society web site includes this "Peters Mill History" taken from the Milford Times for July 1, 1932.