Original Highland Township Landowner
George Sellman was born in 1815 at Canandaigua, Ontario County, New York, the son of Dr. Thomas and Ruth Sellman. His father was a native of Pennsylvania who settled at Canandaigua circa 1804 and opened the "Canandaigua House" at the foot of the lake, which he operated for many years. George Sellman married Mary A. Welsh and came to Michigan circa 1831, settling in Lyon Township, Oakland County. Here he was soon joined by his father, who was elected the first supervisor of Lyon Township in 1834. George Sellman died in 1893 and is buried in Kensington Baptist Church Cemetery, Lyon Township. There is likewise a monument for his wife Mary (Welsh) Sellman, but it does not provide dates of birth or death.
There is no indication George Sellman ever settled on his purchase in Highland Township, Oakland County. On the contrary, both the 1845 Michigan State Census and 1850 Federal Census shows him living with his aged father in Lyon Township, Oakland County.