Original Highland Township Landowner
Harry S. Beaumont
Harry S. Beaumont was born March 29, 1875, at Highland Township, Oakland County, Michigan, the son of John F. and Harriet (Duckering) Beaumont. He married January 1, 1907, Florence M. Jones, at Fenton, Genesee County, Michigan, and died July 21, 1964.
Beaumont holds the distinction of being the last person to be issued a patent for public lands in Highland Township. Dated January 22, 1926, it was processed through the District Land Office at Marquette, in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. The reason no one had purchased this particular parcel previously is explained by the fact most, if not all of its 40 acres is submerged under the waters of White Lake! Beaumont, however, owned other adjoining property on the west shore of White Lake which he would soon develop as the "Seven Harbors Subdivision." He may thus have deemed it prudent to likewise own this parcel of lake bottom.
Note that the actual patent does not state Beaumont's residence, although it would have been "Oakland Co., Michigan."