Original Highland Township Landowner
Albert Lester was born circa 1803 in Litchfield, Connecticut. He removed to Canandaigua, Ontario County, New York, where he read law in the office of John C. Spencer and practiced from about 1825 to 1850. He was at one time partner with Jared Willson a/k/a Wilson in a firm that was reportedly "one of the strongest in the county," George S. Conover, Ed., History of Ontario County, New York, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse (1893), Page 170. It is during this period both men jointly purchased land in Section 34 of Highland Township. They also bought property - together and separately - in Shiawassee, Lapeer, Ingham and Branch counties. There is no evidence either ever resided on their parcel in Highland Township.
In later years Lester became active in local and state politics. He served as a Democratic member of the New York State Senate for the 7th District from 1844 to 1847. In May, 1847, he was elected President pro tempore of the State Senate, and thus became acting Lieutenant Governor, after Addison Gardiner resigned the office upon election to the New York Court of Appeals. Lester held both offices until December 31, 1847, when replaced by Hamilton Fish following a special election to fill the vacancy.
Albert Lester died at Canandiagua, Ontario County, New York, on March 14, 1867.