Original Highland Township Landowner
The Ruggles Brothers - Noble, Henry, Stanley, Elizur and Timothy - were the sons of John and Aphia (Warner) Ruggles of Broome County, New York. In 1831 Stanley and Elizur Ruggles purchased land in what would become the Village of Milford. They settled on the property and in 1832 built the town's first mill on the banks of the Huron River. They were soon joined by their brother Henry who came to Milford in 1833.
Stanley Ruggles was born February 20, 1802. After selling his interest in the mill at Milford he removed to Knox County, Illinois, where he married February 21, 1841, Martha P. Barlett. He died in November, 1870, at Brooks Station, Oregon.
There is no evidence Stanley Ruggles ever settled on his purchase in Section 34 of Highland Township. Given its location along the shores of Pettibone Creek, it seems likely he was interested in its potential as a mill pond. Indeed, much of the parcel is now submerged under Moore Lake, created by the damming of Pettibone Creek in the north part of Milford Township.