Original Highland Township Landowner
The Ruggles Brothers - Noble, Henry, Stanley, Elizur and Timothy - were the sons of John and Aphia (Warner) Ruggles of Broome County, New York. In 1831 Stanley and Elizur Ruggles purchased land in what would become the Village of Milford, Oakland County, Michigan. They settled on the property and in 1832 built the town's first mill on the banks of the Huron River. They were soon joined by their brother Henry who came to Milford in 1833.
Timothy Ruggles purchased land in Section 22 of Highland Township, Oakland County, in 1835, but never settled on the property. It was his brother Noble Ruggles who occupied and eventually acquired the parcel. Timothy Ruggles himself remained in New York where he served as postmaster of Colesville, Broome County, and was later a state judge.