References To Highland Township In Early Gazetteers,
Highland township, Oakland County, is composed of township three north, of range seven east. Here is a body of chestnut timber passing through a part of the township. This township contains a post office by the same name. Population, 440.
Society lakes,(thus named from their proximity,) are several little lakes, in the vicinity of each other, no one of which exceeds perhaps 50 acres in extent, lying in Highland township, Oakland county, south-west of White lake.
White Lake, a body of water lying on the boundary line between a township of the same name and Highland township. Its waters are drained into the Shiawassee river. Here, and around the lake, and the dividing ridge, the lands are covered with forests of chestnut timber.
NOTE: The notion that White Lake drained north into Buckhorn Creek or some other tributary of the Shiawassee River was common in early accounts and maps of Highland Township.
Daniel Haskel and J. Calvin Smith, A
Complete Descriptive And Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States, Sherman
& Smith, New York (1843)
HIGHLAND, p-t., Oakland co., Mich., 45 N.W. Detroit, 569 W. It has 3 sch. 100 scholars. Pop 566.
NOTE: "p-t." = post town. It was also common in the early years of the republic for cities and towns to be described in terms of their distance from Washington, D.C.; in this case 569 miles.
LIST OF POST-OFFICES -- MICHIGAN
Highland, Oakland, Rachel C. Perry, 3748, 3816
pp. 276, 278
LIST OF MAIL ROUTES -- MICHIGAN
3748. From Pontiac at 6 a.m. Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, by Waterford Centre, Commerce, Milford, Highland, Hartland, and Oceola Centre, to Howell, by 9 p.m. -- 41 miles and back between 6 a.m. and 9 p.m., Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
3816. From Grand Blanc, at 6 a.m., Friday, by Holly, Rose, White Lake and Highland, to Kensington, by 6 p.m., 35 miles, and back between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. next day.
Fanning's Illustrated Gazetteer of
the United States,
HIGHLAND, p.t., Oakland co., Mich., 45 ms. n.w. of Detroit; from W. 569 ms. Pop. 851.
NOTE: "p.t." = post-town; "ms." = miles; "W." = Washington, D.C.
HIGHLAND, a post-township in the W. part of Oakland county, Michigan. Pop., 851.
D. D. T. Leech, Post Offices In The United States With The Names Of Postmasters, On The 1st Of July, 1855, George S. Gideon, Washington (1855)
p. 60 [List of Post Offices And Postmasters]
Highland, Oakland, Mich....... Oliver P. Davison
Lippincott's Pronouncing Gazetteer: A Complete Pronouncing Gazetteer Or Geographical Dictionary Of The World, J. B. Lippincott & Co., Philadelphia (1856)
Vol. I, p. 853
HIGHLAND, a post-township in the W. part of Oakland county, Michigan. Pop., 851.
NOTE: This is the same description as in Lippincott's 1854 Gazetteer of the United States, given above.
Vol. IV - Hensburrow to Lurin
HIGHLAND, a county in the state of Ohio, U.S.,... - Also a township of Oakland co., in the state of Michigan, 45 m. NW of Detroit. Pop. 566. - Also ...
A post office in the town of the same name and Oakland county. The town lies on the high land forming the shed between the Shiawassee and Huron rivers - distant about 47 miles from Lansing. Population of the town and post village, 1000.
Oliver P. Davidson, Postmaster.
D.D.T. Leech, List Of Post Offices
In The United States, With The Names Of Postmasters On The 1st Of April, 1859,
John C. Rives, Publisher, Washington, D.C. (1859)
A township and post office in Oakland county, situated about six miles south of the Detroit and Milwaukee railroad, and 40 miles from Detroit, and contains 1,200 inhibitants, who are chiefly engaged in agricultural pursuits. It has one Baptist church, and is furnished with four mails per week. Postmaster -- Geo. L. Hewitt.
Supervisor -- Alonzo Tenny
List of Professions, Trades, etc.
Barrett Alfred, mason
A township and post office in Oakland county, six miles south of the Detroit and Milwaukee Railroad. Population, 1,200 inhibitants. Has one church. Five mails a week. Postmaster - George J. Hewitt.
Supervisor -- S. W. King
List of Professions, Trades, etc.
Anton, William, wagon maker
NOTE: Although published by a different company, this is clearly a reworking of the 1863-64 volume above. Compare the names of what are clearly the same person, e.g., "Geo. L. Hewitt" (1863-64) and "George J. Hewitt" (1867-68) and "Giddings, Jackson" (1863-64) vs. "Gifford, Jackson." (1867-68).
Post Office Directory, Government
Printing Office, Washington (1870)
Highland, Oakland, Mich $54
Spring Mills, Oakland, Mich $51
Appendix: Post Offices In The United States, September 1, 1870, Arranged By State And Counties
Adams Aaron.. Farmer and Hop Grower, Dist No. 4
A postoffice and small village of about 100 people, situated in Highland township, Oakland County, on the line of the F. & P.M. R.R. It is 8 miles south of Holly and 20 miles west of Pontiac. Wheat, oats and corn are the leading productions of the vicinity. Telegraph - Western Union. Express - American. Lucius Roscoe, postmaster.
Cole H, produce dealer
A postoffice in Highland township, Oakland county, 2 1/4 miles west of Highland station on the F. & P.M. R'y. Wheat, corn and potatoes are the principal productions. Distance from Detroit 42 miles, from Pontiac 25 miles northeast. It has a daily mail. A. Stockwell, postmaster.
Copps P V, blacksmith
A place of 200 inhabitants on the F. &. P. M. R'y., 11 miles south of Holly. It is in Highland township, Oakland county, 18 miles west of Pontiac. Pettibone creek affords water power. The shipments are mostly of grain. Settled 1871. Express, American. Telegraph, Western Union. N. B. Babcock, postmaster.
Adams Carles [sic] H, station agent
January, 1892, ABC
Pathfinder: Shipping And Mailing Guide, New England Railway Publishing Company,
* Money-Order Post-Offices
NOTE: The "Highland" entry at page 307 is not Highland P.O. (West Highland), but rather the entry for Highland Station under its "Railroad Name." This is why it has the "X" showing it to have a telegraph office.
PLACE COUNTY STATE POP.
Clyde Oakland Mich 202
Highland Oakland Mich 100
Highland Station Oakland Mich 250
Clyde - a post-village of Oakland co., Mich., 8 miles by rail S. of Holly. Pop. 200.
Highland - A post-village of Oakland co., Mich., 28 miles S. of Flint. Pop. 75.
Highland Station - A post-village of Oakland co., Mich., 28 miles by rail south of Flint. Pop. about 300.
King's Official Route Guide: A
Tour Book Containing The Principal Automobile Routes In The States
of Michigan and Northern Indiana
NOTE: In the days before highway signs and road maps, motorists relied on "Route Guides" such as this one to find their way from town to town. The "turn by turn" directions are not unlike those provided by modern GPS systems and include both measured distances and notable landmarks. Those familiar with the Highland area are invited to take a mental "roadtrip" and see how many of these roads and landmarks they can identify. If you "get lost" there are endnotes to help you get back on track.
Stretches of macadam, gravel and sand
Route 150 - Reverse Route 151
Only the Rose, Clyde, Highland and Milford portions are included here,
Mile 12. 1 - This "jog" in Milford Road is located at the line between Rose and Highland Townships. It was originally two sharp turns, but has since been rebuilt as a gentle "S" curve. The "four corners" is the intersection of modern Milford, White Lake and Harvey Lake Roads. The "school house on near left" is the old Clyde school.
Mile 13.8 - The Clyde post office was housed in the Wickens Store on the southwest corner of Milford Road and Railroad Street, so "on left" for a southbound motorist. The "three corners" is the intersection of modern Milford and Clyde Roads just west of Clyde.
Mile 13.9 - This is the former Clyde Methodist Episcopal Church.
Mile 14.1 - This is the curve around Penninsula Lake, "on right" (west) of southbound Milford Road.
Mile 14.4 - While Duck Lake is indeed "on left" (east) for a southbound motorist, it is not visible since more than a mile away. It appears either (i) the guide confuses Duck Lake with Upper Pettibone Lake, which is just east of the railroad (although equally invisible), or (ii) the term "Duck Lake" does not refer to the actual body of water, but to the cottage community which existed on and around its shores during this period.
Mile 14.9 - There is no road "on left" at this point. Based on the milage (e.g., 1 mile south of the Clyde M.E. Church), this must be Middle Road which is "on right" for a southbound motorist. Note also the lack of any reference to the stretch of Wardlow Road between Milford and Harvey Lake Roads, which should appear around Mile 15.6. These errors/omissions are not found in the description of the return (northbound) trip, which reads "15.3 - Pass cemetery on left; 15.9 - Pass road on left (i.e., West Wardlow); 16.2 - Pass road on right (i.e., east portion of Wardlow); 16.9 - Pass road on left (i.e., Middle Road); 17.3 - R.R. and Duck Lake over to right, go down grade," etc.
Mile 15.9 - This is West Wardlow Road, "on right" (west) for a southbound motorist.
Mile 16.5 - This is Highland Cemetery.
Mile 16.6 - The is the former Highland Congregational Church.
Mile 16.9 - This is the intersection of Milford and Livingston Roads in "downtown" Highland Station. Milford Road south of this point was a state road at this time.
Mile 17.8 - This is Lone Tree Road, "on right" (west) for a southbound motorist.
Mile 18.1 - This is Reid Road, "on left" (east) for a southbound motorist.
Mile 18.3 - The Excelsior school stood on the west side of Milford Road just south of present-day Watkins Boulevard, near the site of Gilroy's Hardware. This is the only reference so far found to Milford Road being called "Grafton Avenue" at this point.
Mile 18.8 - This is Rowe Road "on right" (west) for a southbound motorist.
Nearly all gravel and macadam
Route 152 - Reverse Route 153
Only the Milford, Highland and Hartland portions are included here,
Mile 1.6 - This is Rowe Road, "on left" (west) for a motorist northbound on Milford Road
Mile 2.0 - The Excelsior school stood on the west side of Milford Road just south of present-day Watkins Boulevard, near the site of Gilroy's Hardware.
Mile 2.2 - This is Reid Road, "on right" (east) for a northbound motorist.
Mile 2.5 - This is Lone Tree Road, "on left" (west) for a northbound motorist. The Pere Marquette (now CSX) railroad tracks can be seen "on right" at this point as they run parallel to Milford Road.
Miles 3.5 - The "four corners" is the intersection of Milford and Livingston Roads in "downtown" Highland Station. At the time the post office was in the store on the southeast corner.
Mile 3.6 - This is the Highland Methodist Episcopal Church - now the Highland Station house.
Mile 5.7 - The "prominent cross roads with general store on left" is West Highland, with Tom's Place on the southwest corner.
Mile 5.8 - This is the wetland on the north side of modern M-59, between the two car dealerships.
Mile 6.6 - This is the intersection of M-59 and Tipsico Lake Roads.
Mile 7.6 - This is the intersection of M-59 with Fenton Road (north) and Pleasant Valley Road (south).
Mile 8.3 and 8.5 - While modern M-59 curves to pass north of Cundy Lake at this point, old Livingston Road proceeded more or less straight, then curved to the right around the south shore of Cundy Lake. This old stretch is now called Cundy Road. The "road on right" would thus be Bullard Road while the "small lake on right" is Cundy Lake. See the 1909 USGS topographic map of this area at right.
Mile 8.6 - The "road ... on left" is modern-day Maxfield Lake Road, while the "chain of small lakes on left" are Handy (then Mud) Lake and wetlands surrounding it. The "end of road" was where Livingston Road met modern Clark Road at a "T" intersection. Here the motorist would turn left (south), proceed a short distance, then turn right (west) again, at which point Round Lake would be to the left (south). See the 1909 USGS topographic map of this area at right.
Mile 10.3 - This "crossroads" corresponds more or less to the intersection of M-59 with Old US-23, which once led due north from this point to Hartland. When new US-23 was built, however, it cut the old road in half, with the northern portion (starting just south of Dunham Road) becoming part of Hartland Road.