Original Highland Township Landowner
Harvey and Hannah (Clark) Leonard
Harvey Leonard was born at Parma, Monroe County, New York, the son of Capt. Jonathan and Persis (Hencher) Leonard. There he married Hannah Clark, the daughter of Ethan A. and Lavina (Lockwood) Clark, and began working in a local saw mill. In 1835, however, he joined his brothers, William H. Leonard and Jason Leonard, by settling in Highland, purchasing 80 acres in the southwest quarter of Section 15 (the northwest corner of Milford and West Wardlow Roads). He also acquired additional property, including some originally taken up by his uncle, Silas Leonard, and built a log cabin on the east side of Milford Road. His patents included land on both the north and south sides of Harvey Lake, which is named in his honor. In 1840 Harvey left the farm and went to Allegan County to work in a saw mill, where he was accidentally killed circa 1842. His wife, Hannah - who was also an original Highland Township landowner - died several years later on February 20, 1848. See the Leonard Family Photo Album for more on this family.